(250) 498-0167
Locally owned and Operated - Serving the Okanagan With Respect & Compassion


The staff at Nunes-Pottinger Funeral Service take great pride in assisting families with filling out the necessary forms to apply for the various benefits and pension plans offered through the Government of Canada. To apply for these benefits and pension plans, families should locate and bring the following document’s with them to the funeral arrangement or follow-up arrangement: the deceased’s marriage certificate, Social Insurance Number of the deceased and surviving spouse (if applicable), birth certificates of the deceased and surviving spouse and the will of the deceased.

We are also very experienced in helping families work with Worksafe BC, ICBC, the Ministry of Housing and Economic Development, Veteran’s Affairs, Last Post Fund and life insurance documents.


C.P.P. Benefits

The Canada Pension Plan death benefit is a one-time, lump-sum payment made to the deceased contributor’s estate. If there is no estate, the person responsible for the funeral expenses, the surviving spouse or common-law partner or the next of kin may be eligible, in that order.

The Canada Pension Plan survivor’s pension is paid to the person who, at the time of death, is the legal spouse or common-law partner of the deceased contributor. If you are a separated legal spouse and there is no cohabiting common-law partner, you may qualify for this benefit.

If your deceased same-sex common-law partner contributed to the Canada Pension Plan, you could be eligible for survivor’s benefits.

The Canada Pension Plan children’s benefit is paid to a dependent natural or adopted child of the deceased contributor, or a child in the care and control of the deceased contributor at the time of death. The child must be either under age 18, or between the ages of 18 and 25 and in full-time attendance at a school or university.

Condolences and Tributes

When a Death Occurs